5 Quick Tips for Business website Security
- Clean Computer – Be sure your computer is behind a firewall, your anti-virus program is up-to-date, and run daily virus/malware scans.
- Backups – Make frequent backups of your server files and your database. If you update your site daily, then make a backup daily.
- Upgrade – When there’s an upgrade available for your installation and/or plugins, update as soon as possible. Many times these are security updates.
- CHMOD – Be sure your server directory permissions are set to 755 and your file permissions are set to 644.
- Strong Passwords – Never use the same password, change them often, and use a minimum of 14 characters with a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols. (Check with your hosting provider for what’s allowed on the server.)
Before making any changes or updates to your site, be sure to check for conflicts and compatibility issues and have a working backup. Although there are many more security elements to put in place on your website, the 5 quick tips above will help to reduce the risk of your Site from being compromised.